I was fortunate enough this week to facilitate a group of curious, open minded leaders, providing them with the time and space to explore the question “How can we create truly engaging, soulful places of work?”. This question emerging from our shared interest in themes presented by Frederic Laloux in his book Reinventing Organisations.
The discussion started by exploring “What’s the problem we need to solve?” where we identified some common themes...
- People are not as engaged and productive as we want them to be. Our personal experiences, backed by well publicised statistics, confirm that even though we know there is a problem, the situation isn’t getting any better.
- As leaders, we are often the source of the problem, constrained by our beliefs and experience of what reportedly works. We want to control activities happening within our organisation and struggle to trust others sufficiently to relinquish it.
- We tend to conform to meet expectations placed on us by our external environment.
A clip of Frederic Laloux sharing his thoughts about “Teal Organisations” gave us sufficient context to think about the question “What does this organisational model have to offer?”.
Three core principles emerged:
- Give people greater autonomy by lessening management control, moving towards greater self management and ultimately introducing self managing teams.
- Bring the whole of ourselves to work: the rational, emotional, intuitive and spiritual elements that make us human.
- Develop evolutionary purpose, sensing and responding where our organisation needs to be.
- Reflect and make time to notice what we are drawn to do.
- Define and share our purpose, establishing a clear sense of direction and framework with which to make decisions.
- Develop our ability to listen more deeply in order to sense and respond to what changes are needed to progress towards our purpose.
If you are curious about developing the culture within your organisation and would like to contribute to our next Round Table discussion, exploring “How can we create truly engaging, soulful places of work?”, please contact me to find out more about our planned events and opportunities.