There's a belief in NLP that "energy flows where attention goes", so what happens when we apply this thinking?
If for example we work in a culture that focuses on problems, we perpetuate problems... and conversely when we focus on solutions we identify more solutions.
So what does your organisation choose to focus on, problems or solutions and what are the consequences?
- Start by identifying an area requiring change and instead of defining the problem, establish what you want to achieve.
- Encourage your team to help you define success.
- Listen to all their ideas.
- Capture and communicate the shared solution.
- Now make sure you maintain your focus by noticing and acknowledging your team members contribution towards achieving success.
- Review and communicate progress and make sure you stay focused on what is working and what you want more of, without dwelling on problems.
- Seek new ideas to refine and evolve your solution.
- Repeat the solutions cycle!